Monday 18 September 2017

Meet the Research Intern: Enshia Li


Hello! My name is Enshia and I will be serving as a research intern for the Global War Graves Leicester project over the next year. I am a grade 12 student hailing from Toronto, Ontario, so unfortunately I shall be quite distant from Leicester during the process. At school, I am in the International Baccalaureate program, studying History, English Literature, and Chemistry at the higher level.

Recently, the experienced horrors of World War I has passed from personal memory to the historical. Yet we are still -- I am still -- fascinated by its bleak trajectory, the violent chance and machinery of its course, its quake shaking the present, reverberating far into the future. Still now, I am not entirely sure what this explosion means to me, to us, this generation born a century after the soldiers of the First World War.
Although we were born a hundred years apart, I am certain of one thing: remembering their sacrifice. To me, the act of honouring the dead is inseparable from remembering their individual lives, which is why I am so excited to be helping out with this project. By uncovering diverse histories of soldiers, we would add to the collection of WWI memory in the Leicester community, revealing previously neglected identities and narratives.




No comments:

Post a Comment